Sunday, March 31, 2019

FOK Challenge part 6


So this week has been bit short. I didn't make as many recipes out of the Forks Over Knives cookbook as I thought I did. Oh well. I did redo a few that we particularly liked, such as the Banana Granola Parfait. Unfortunately, I used too much water when making the Banana Almond granola and it wanted to clump up too much, and then I baked it too hot for too long so it turned out very crunchy, almost hard. Not flaky enough but we soaked it good in milk and it still tasted good.

I also did my own variation on the Banana Almond Granola. I kind of combined it with the Basic Bake Granola on the page previous, page 44. I blended the dates up with the banana and added almonds to that as well. The recipe called for cinnamon and orange zest, but I didn't have any cinnamon and forgot the zest. I added nutmeg and coriander. I also added coconut to the oat mixture plus some corn meal to help it crisp up. I put it on low in the oven over night (170* for mine) and it turned out nice. I think it could have been baked a little bit longer than it was, which I think was about 10 hours. I never can tell, because my oven automatically shuts off if it is left on a long time, so  I've just assumed it shuts off about 10. Anywho! It was nice and flaky and yummy! I am going to try another variation of this next time and see how it comes out. 

Oh, yeah. We made Broccoli Rice Casserole on page 250. It was so good! But then, I am very fond of the cashew cheese sauces and gravies. Also, I love broccoli so the combo of that with rice was yummy! We were in a hurry so we didn't bake it, but I am going to definitely bake it next time to get the flavors to mix better. 

Anyway, that's all for now. Till next time, eat healthy!

2 comments:

  1. I was disappointed in the cashew cheese, it didn't taste like cheese at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they are meant to really taste like cheese. There a couple of 'vegan cheese' products that I have found made commercially that get pretty close, but nothing exactly the same. Its mainly to give you something else to use but it takes some getting used to and a change of tastebuds and a change in mindset too. I try not to think of it as cheese most of the time, just something that tastes yummy!

      Delete