Sunday, March 24, 2019

Forks Over Knives Challenge part 5

Well, hello people! We've been very busy over the last 3 months. I know we must have made a few recipes from the Forks Over Knives cookbook, but I'm sure I can't remember all of the ones we did. So, I will just look through the book now and see if I can remember some of them.

Josh made the Strawberry Shortcake recipe on page 301 and it turned out really good. I loved it!

For Christmas week, I made a recipe called Oatmeal Raisin cookies from page 272.  I also made Lentil Chili (page 128) in the crockpot and took it to potluck. It was pretty good. I think I will try it in the InstaPot, now that I'm thinking about it, since I've made a couple different bean soup recipes in it, from other sources that turned out good.

Since then, we have tried a few other recipes.  "Cheesy" Broccoli Baked Potatoes on page 191 is a basic recipe that I've done many variations of anyway, and is always a hit, potatoes being one of our staples. It incorporates the No-cheese sauce from page 29. I often leave out the tahini because the boys like it better without and I don't always have tahini on hand, though I need to remember I do have a bag of sesame seeds and could just add some of those to the blender.

At some point in the last few months, I know I made "Ratatouille" page 176, because we all love eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes. This recipe uses basil and red onion which I love, so I added extra of both, which turned out okay. A little heavy on the basil, but it was still good!

The last recipe I think, was the grilled Portobello Mushrooms. I've done this recipe before, but had to have it again, because mushrooms are AWESOME! Sorry, Dad. ;)  All my kids love mushrooms, although the girls prefer regular over portobellos and Christina sometimes picks hers out because she doesn't always like the texture when cooked, but she will eat them raw while I'm chopping!

Anyway, one thing I have been discovering, that I'm not liking, is some of the ingredients used in the cookbook, I have to buy at the Asian store, or I don't even know where to find. Also, some of the recipes are more complex than I like. I like simple recipes and simple ingredients, I guess. My kids don't always like the recipes either, because they are more, shall I say, 'gourmet' or something. I do tend to alter them for that reason some, but the nice thing is when I make the recipes to try them they usually only make 1 serving each for our large family so that makes it easier not to have leftovers no one will eat if they end up not liking it. If we do like it, I know I will have to double or sometimes triple the recipe, since we usually don't do lots of different dishes at each meal, though I should sometimes. As convenient as 1 dish meals are, a little variety at the table is nice.

Well, I will post some more things tomorrow if I have time. Bye for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment