Thursday, May 16, 2019

Forks over Knives post 9 Breakfast foods!

The last couple weeks have been awesomely busy. With the end of the school year coming up, our Pathfinder club has been playing catchup on honors and classwork. My kids have been double-timing it, so to speak as we come closer to graduation for many of the kids. One son headed off for two weeks with dad in the truck, and the rest of us took the time to make yummy recipes for potluck at church in honor of the mothers.

Last time, I tried the Brown Rice pudding which was very good. This time, I tried the Fruited Barley on p. 53. Only I didn't have any barley, so I used some of the leftover rice and that turned out pretty good. Next time, I will try it with the Barley. I really like the citrus flavor though Jeffrey didn't so much.

Similar to the rice pudding was the Spelt Berry Hot Breakfast Cereal on p. 53. I didn't have spelt, but wheat is similar enough, so I used that. It was also very good. I ended up eating that two days because no one else seems to like eating cooked wheat berries. Oh well. I like it.

The third breakfast item was the stove top granola. Thats on page 42. It was very easy to make, and didn't require any baking but is rather sticky until it cools. I think I forgot to put in the raisins at the end but oh well. It was good. It makes a smaller batch then I usually make when I do regular granola but really isn't time consuming at all, any more than the larger baked versions. I think though, I will probably stick to the baked kind, just because I would rather make more for our larger family.

Finally, the last breakfast items we made were smoothies. Pumpkin Pie smoothie from p. 40 was good on its own, as long as you didn't just eat something slightly sweeter before hand. It is milder in flavor, but would actually make a good pie filling if you thickened it up and left out the ice cubes. The boys poured theirs over their granola. They didn't like it as well as the others, and neither did I. I think it would be better in pie.
Gingerbread smoothie, from page 41, is super yummy! It was more like gingerbread milk than smoothie, but I loved it! John wasn't sure he liked the aftertaste, probably from nutmeg and Sarah thought it was spicy, because of the ginger. I will definitely make that one again, just for me.
Spicy Tropical Green Smoothie would have been spicy and green, except I forgot to get more spinach and didn't put enough cayenne in. But it was good, and everyone liked that one. I couldn't really taste the  coconut water, so I might add coconut flakes to up the flavor, or something.

Next post! Lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment