Thursday, May 16, 2019

Forks Over Knives post 10, Lunch foods!

I had huge plans for all kinds of soups and ended up just making 2 partly because I had so much produce I couldn't keep  up and another because half the time I couldn't remember what it was I was going to make. 

We did make creamy asparagus soup. (Page 88) I don't know what was wrong with this soup, except that maybe  I just like the flavor of not overdone asparagus and this soup made it too overcooked. Anyway, no one liked it at all, and I made too much so we froze it all to mix in carefully with other soups.  
I was going to make spinach soup from the same page but had to use up the spinach too quickly before it went bad and forgot to get more. Same thing with the zucchini bisque and the cream of broccoli soup on the next page. I will try again another day. 

Lentil soup with Cauliflower, potatoes, and spinach on page 103 was a definite hit. Pretty sure my kids like lentil soup. This recipe really upped the vegetables though more than my usual lentil soup.  We had almost no leftovers. 

For potluck, I made Chili with Jalapeños and Lime. Page 130. I think I didn't put enough salt but it 
wasn't too spicy, I only put one jalapeño in, instead of the 3 it called for. I think it could have used a bit more cumin and tomato too. But I will try again because it did have a good flavor. 
Also for potluck, I made Macaroni salad from page 142. I thought it was good, but it needed more mayo, mostly because I put in more pasta but didn't add enough mayo to compensate. The mayo recipe used from page 28 was very good and I didn't even  add the vinegar. 

I made Green Chili Rice and beans for lunch this week. Amazingly, Christina loved it and had two bowls, until she hit a piece of jalapeño that didn't get cooked enough in the beans, but otherwise everyone pretty well liked it. It disappeared quickly, so thats a good sign! 

Today we had Vegetable Stir Fry and rice. Page 169. I thing we have made this one before, but thats ok. I really like the chinese brown sauce from page35. Its a healthy yummy addition to homemade chinese food.

Next post, desserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment