Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Vitamin K

I just wanted to share something that I was researching about. My midwife keeps asking me about doing vitamin K shots or drops for my baby and I had looked into it a little bit before so I didn’t feel comfortable giving them to him/her. My girls never had them and never had any problems. However, my midwife apparently had a client who’s baby had a brain bleed so she is extra concerned now. Because I am uncomfortable giving any kind of shots to my kids, I decided I had better figure out exactly what its for and if the benefits outweigh the risks. Here is a quick rundown of what I found out with some links to go with it. This was copied from the page I typed up and printed out for my midwife so that she could see what I researched and hopefully will help ease her mind as well.

 Facts about Vitamin K and Hemorrhagic disease of the newborn and Vitamin K deficiency in Babies. 


  1. Risk for HDN or early onset bleeding is 1 in 100,000, risk for VKDB or late onset bleeding is 3-4 in 100,000
  2. Causes include: liver disease in baby; medication use by mom that interfere with vitamin k metabolism like anticonvulsants, anticoagulants and antibiotics; or a diet low in k and fat. Also, any other issue that can interfere with baby’s absorption of vitamin k.
  3. Vitamin K shot is synthetic, not easily absorbed or utilized by the body.
  4. Vitamin K is metabolized in the liver, and absorbed by gut bacteria.
  5. Baby liver and digestion are immature. Drops are not metabolized by baby liver, and interfere with the gut bacteria.
  6. Shot has other ingredients, not just ‘vitamin k’. For example, Propylene Glycol, Benzyl alcohol, Hydrochloric Acid, castor oil. Etc. Again, Baby liver cannot process these. Benzyl alcohol has been shown to cause respiratory problems. 
  7. Vitamin K shot has a black box warning. It says it can cause death, and jaundice.
  8. Best way for baby is to increase moms vitamin k through diet in the weeks before birth, so baby liver can store it.
  9. After birth, delay cord clamping to get all the stem cells for repairs from birth process. Vitamin K thickens blood so stem cells cannot travel where needed well.
  10. Make sure baby gets colostrum which contains small amounts of easily absorbed vitamin K and stem cells. 
  11. Vitamin K containing foods : Raspberry Leaf tea; Greens like Kale, alfalfa, cabbage. Cauliflower, spinach; Soy; Nuts, like cashews, pecans and walnuts; Legumes- green beans, kidney beans, etc.; Nettle; Avocado; Grapes. 
  12. Gut bacteria also produces vitamin K, so lots of prebiotic food like onions and garlic and the above foods.
  13. God created babies with lower k until 8 days old so stem cells from the placenta can travel through the body to brain quickly. 







https://youtu.be/6rxEo8R5Fwk


No comments:

Post a Comment