Sunday, April 21, 2013

Health Part 2

Ok, so this a continuation of my previous post.

God gave us guidelines in the Bible as to taking care of our bodies. Science has been slow in catching up, but over the centuries, scientists, doctors, scholars, and lay people have and are discovering that a lifestyle that includes plenty of plant foods is healthier than one that is mostly animal foods.

So, when I started college, I had become interested in health. As a result my major was a health oriented one. Since then, I have continued reading, researching and studying in all areas of health with an emphasis in diet. Four of my favorite books right now (this list will change, I'm sure as it has in the past :) ) are, in no particular order:

The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell
Forks over Knives by Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn
The PH Miracle by Dr. Robert O. Young
Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis

I got started originally by reading the very full of fact book by Dr. Young, "Sick and Tired?" I was hooked by all the hows and whys of disease so I got The PH Miracle which was a little more simplified but just as good a read. Then I found the China Study by Dr. Campbell. Astounding! So when he and Dr. Esselstyn put together their video Forks over Knives I watched it bought the book and then the cookbook to go with it. Soon after that I found, by way of my mother-in-love, Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. Amazing!

Ok, so what did I learn from these books and their corresponding websites, videos and blogs? First of all, that I wish someone would put them all together into one book. Second of all, that they each take a part of the whole picture for the most part and expound on that one aspect.

Here's what I learned from each book.

The China Study: I learned that a diet high in animal protein causes an increase in cancer while a diet high in plant protein does not. That's it in a nut-shell.

Forks over Knives: A diet high in plants not in animal products reverses and prevents most common diseases.

The PH Miracle: Disease is caused by mutations in the cells of the body which are caused by an acidic environment. If the body has an alkaline pH, there will be less chance for disease to take hold.

Wheat Belly: Modern wheat has been modified by hybridization and is not longer the healthy wheat of our grandparents. Most grains, wheat in particular, cause blood sugars to soar which is not healthy in the long run.


There is so much more to each of these and so much more about diet about how processed foods affect your body and why it's healthier to stay close to the original diet of Eden but it would take many more books to tell them all!

Anyway, to put these all together: Animal products and grains are acidic, which is why they actually cause more disease and which is also why leaving them out has such a positive effect on health. Eating a diet with as much of an alkaline plant base as possible has so many benefits that I cannot stress it enough: God made the perfect diet in the beginning.

I highly recommend those who want to be healthier, read these books, visit their blogs, watch the Forks over Knives video.

My advice is to start with the video and the book that goes with it. Then read PH Miracle. It tells some of the science behind a plant based diet. Also read Wheat Belly to be convinced of the science behind that. If you really want some more deep science read "The China Study" and "Sick and Tired?" which are both somewhat heavy reads. "Sick and Tired?" is much more so than "The China Study".

Gen 1:29  And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment