Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Hi there.

Last time I was on here, I said I would share some of the things I've been learning lately.

Well, first of all, I do alot of reading on the internet and in books, mainly on the subject of health. That is one of my biggest joys in life. To learn all I can.

I grew up lacto-ovo-vegetarian. That means we ate dairy products. As we got older, my mom started taking them out of our diet. I don't remember when, but I do remember it was because it was healthier. By the time I entered college, we didn't use dairy at home for the most part, except sometimes on pizza. It wasn't that big a deal. College, I went to a health oriented, very conservative school, where the cafeteria served completely vegetarian food. No animal products at all, except honey which technically means we weren't vegan by the usual meaning of the word.

Since then, I've been mostly complete vegetarian. Hubby introduced me to salmon, which at first I did not like at all. I've never liked meat. But I actually now like the taste of salmon. But it's not something I have to get some of because I'm craving it. I never do that with any meat. I do that with pizza, or chinese food, but never meat.

After college, for along time I was strict with my diet. But then I started getting back into the dairy. When I was pregnant with my youngest boy, I had to cut back alot because I got anemic. Who would have guessed milk and cheese could do that to you?

Anyway, I have many health books. I have read Dr. Neal Barnard's books on diabetes and food cravings ('Reversing Diabetes' and 'Breaking the Food Seduction'); Dr. Colin Campbells book on animal protein and cancer ('The China Study'); Dr. Robert Young's books on ph and disease ('Ph miracle living'); and many internet sites related to them.

What have I learned?
1. Plant based is better;
2. Animal products are very bad;
3. Mostly Raw is good;
4. Disease is caused by lifestyle, not genetics;

to name a few.

Here is a video that is really neat and talks about these things. It's called Forks Over Knives. It's on Netflix, they have a website and I think it's on Youtube as well. Here is a link to one on Hulu.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/279734

Oh, and here are some of the websites I was talking about relating to some of the books I have read.

http://phmiracleliving.com/
http://www.pcrm.org/


These doctors and other health people whose research I've been reading, in my opinion all believe the same thing for different reasons. They come from different backgrounds and different ideas to the same conclusion. That the best diet is the one that God gave in the beginning. Whole plant foods eaten whole.

I once thought that if there was some way to bring all the information they came up with and put it all together into one book, that would be great! I even thought I would try that. But I just figured, that would be a very large book and who would read that?! Besides, it would never be finished, since new information is coming out all the time, and we are always learning more about the foods God gave us.

Speaking of new information. . . . No, I'll leave that for another post. If anyone has any suggestions of websites or books for me to read, put them in the comments. I'm always open to new research!

Til later.
Juliette

2 comments:

  1. I've been forced back into that type of lifestyle while nursing. And I've been told I look like I have a glow to me. Must be the healthy food. =) I usually keep dairy to a minimal here as well.

    ReplyDelete